|
129 FALMOUTH RD |
Nova Scotia Tourism Region : Bay of Fundy & Annapolis Valley
Description From Owner:
- This area began to develop around 1685 when new generations of Acadians began migrating to areas where they could reclaim land from the sea.
- On the W bank of the Pisiquid River (now the Avon River) the parish of Sainte-Famille was founded and by 1714 the population of the district numbered 344.
- Following the expulsion of 1755 the area was resettled by New England farmers from RI and CT.
- By 1762 80 families had settled in the area. Their first town meeting was held in 1760 and they named the place Falmouth to honour Admiral Edward Boscawen, Viscount Falmouth (1711-61) who was commander-in-chief at Louisbourg in 1758.
- In 1763 colonial administrator J. F. W. Des Barres (1721-1824) received a grant in Falmouth Township and built a house overlooking the Avon River which he named Castle Frederick.
- Nearby he built what is believed to be the first optically-equipped astronomical observatory in the Western hemisphere. A covered toll bridge across the Avon River was built in 1836 and burned in 1892.
- With permission from 'Nova Scotia Place Names' David E. Scott 2015
Address of this page: http://ns.ruralroutes.com/Falmouth
Quick Search
