|
47 COMMERCIAL ST |
Nova Scotia Tourism Region : Cape Breton Island
Description From Owner:
- First named Gardner Mines, for Michael Gardiner, an early Irish settler. In 1818 Alexander Campbell from Scotland was granted a lot called Barbue.
- In 1835 the General Mining Association of England began to get land grants in the area. A shaft was sunk in 1870 and the coal was carried to the International Pier for shipment.
- The colliery was purchased by Dominion Coal Co. in 1893 and closed down in 1894.
- With permission from 'Nova Scotia Place Names' David E. Scott 2015
Address of this page: http://ns.ruralroutes.com/GardinerMines
Quick Search
